Massage Therapy For Health And Pain
Massage therapy is one of the oldest known forms of medicine. For thousands of years, people have used massage to treat pain and improve their overall health. For many people, massage therapy can help them with chronic muscle pain, relieve stress or recover faster from injuries. Although it may not be right for every ailment and shouldn’t be used as a replacement for appropriate medical treatment, massage can help people feel better and live happier, healthier lives.
Types of Massage
There are many types of massage that can be used in a therapeutic context. Although the exact techniques differ from method to method, in general, massage involves the manipulation of muscles and other soft tissue on the body by a trained masseuse. Some of the most common types of massage therapy for pain and stress relief include:
- Swedish massage — This type of massage is characterized by long strokes, kneading, vibration, tapping and deep circular movements to loosen muscle and other soft tissue.
- Sports massage — Like Swedish massage, sports massage is tailored to athletes’ specific needs.
- Deep tissue massage — Also based on the principles of Swedish massage, deep tissue massage focuses on the deepest layers of muscle tissue. This is intended to release chronic muscle tension and relieve pain, especially in the neck, shoulders and back.
- Myofascial trigger point therapy — This form of massage therapy concentrates on areas of the muscle tissue that are painful to the touch and can cause pain in other parts of the body. By massaging these “trigger points,” the aim is to relieve tension and ease pain elsewhere in the body.
- Aromatherapy — Sometimes, massage therapy is accompanied with aromatic essential oils to further promote a sense of calm.
What Massage Can Help
Research has found that massage therapy can be beneficial for patients suffering from a wide variety of illnesses. This is in addition to the benefits of massage therapy for pain control and stress relief. In most cases, massage therapy can be used as supplemental to medical treatment for illnesses such as cancer and fibromyalgia as a means of relieving stress and helping patients feel more positive about their treatment.
Ancient Technique, Modern Care
Massage therapy for pain relief has been a fixture of medical treatment for thousands of years now, and it continues to help people find relief from stress and pain. Here at Genuine Care Health and Wellness Center, massage therapy is just one of the techniques we employ to help patients on their road to a happier, healthier lifestyle.
If you’re interested in finding out how massage therapy at Genuine Care Health and Wellness Center can help you, contact us today – 630-353-5250